The first Fusion Neutron Source (FNS) technical coordination meeting was held on September 28-29 via videoconference. This meeting follows the EU-JA Workshop on Neutron Source Status and Technologies held under the bilateral agreement in Rokkasho on August 2019.
The objective of this virtual meeting is to further identify areas of collaboration between EU and JA for the neutron source development, and to develop the contents of the future IFMIF/EVEDA activities to be performed in the frame of the BA. In order to progress in the technical content, the FNS activities carried out or planned in EU and in JA were reviewed.
- Workplans were jointly prepared by the EU and JA contact persons for each topic, providing technical descriptions;
- Each workplan includes schedule and required budget;
- Some topics may benefit from LIPAc operation, but LIPAc can only provide limited support as a test bench, and its focus remains the technical feasibility of the neutron source.
- The strategy is under discussion for sharing the tasks and optimizing the project resources
Actions were agreed:
- Technical description of workplans are to be further detailed for clarifying the proposed sharing and collaboration activities;
- Expected EU and JA resources and budget will be refined and balanced, before an agreed proposal is presented to the IFMIF/EVEDA Project Leader.
A 2nd FNS technical coordination meeting is scheduled for November 2021 in Granada (Spain).